Hinderton Hall Estate
This grand Estate dates from 1856 and extends to 51 acres, it is situated on the A540 Chester to Hoylake road, 11 miles from both Liverpool and Chester.
The Hall, which is grade 11 listed, is a family home set within beautiful landscaped grounds and adjoins acres of parkland and woodland.
FOR SALE: Chapter House, 3 bedroom barn conversion Wright Marshall
FOR SALE: The Lodge, 3 bedroom Grade II listed cottage Karl Tatler
Hinderton Hall and its estate were originally built for Christopher Bushell, a successful wine merchant and local politician. He was involved in the promotion of Liverpool's railways and helped found the Liverpool River Police. He also played an active role in the Mersey Tunnel Scheme and the early days of the University of Liverpool. When Bushell came to Neston in the early 1850s the town was a small ecclesiastical parish. He funded the construction of various roads, churches and schools in Neston, and did so much to establish the town's first water supply, that the "Bushell Fountain" was erected at Neston village cross in recognition of his generosity.
Bushell decided to build his estate on farmland to the north of the town in 1856. The site was believed to have been the venue for the Great Neston Horse Races held in the early 1760s. The hall was built by Haigh and Company for Bushell, his wife and their eleven children. It was designed by Alfred Waterhouse, who went on to design the natural History Museum in London and the Lime Street buildings in Liverpool. Waterhouse's plans even extended to a sandstone dog kennel, which survives to this day and is rumoured to be the only one of its kind in Britain.
Hinderton remained the Bushell family home until the passing of Margaret Bushell in 1907, when the estate was purchased by Sir Percy Bates, who later became chairman of the Cunard shipping line. Lady Bates became a local benefactor and was well known for hosting garden parties for the local children, who were often driven to the hall in her private car.
The estate was purchased by the Rees family in the 1980s, who carried out extensive refurbishments. They also oversaw the building of the Chapter House, which continues the Gothic architectural theme of the estate - its' bricks and stonework were sourced from a disused church in nearby Ellesmere Port.